Tuesday 31 July 2012

Shellard relishes the challenge of his Ponty return


Shellard back at Sardis



Dynamic flanker Rhys Shellard has returned to the ranks of Pontypridd RFC with a renewed vigour for the game and an appetite for the challenges that lie ahead.
One of a crop of talented youngsters who were developed through the Celtic Warriors Academy, and thrown into senior level rugby with Pontypridd in the Premiership, Shellard then departed to represent The Blues and Cardiff RFC.
Currently contracted to the Wales Sevens squad, and by now a player with a wealth of experience at senior level despite still being only twenty-seven years of age, Rhys Shellard has made the move back to his club of origin Pontypridd ready for the new season.
“I felt the time was right to make a move, and having loved my time with Ponty earlier in my career, it was the club to which I wanted to return” explained Shellard.
“When the opportunity came along to do so I jumped at it, and I can’t wait now for the season to get underway and be back playing in the black and white.”
The foraging openside flanker, despite his enthusiasm, is taking nothing for granted as he integrates with the Ponty squad.
“I realise that there is stiff competition in the back row here” said Shellard, “with Wayne O’Connor the master craftsman and youngsters like Calum Thomas and Tom Hetherington coming through. My first task will be to claim a place in the starting line up.”
A slight calf strain has held Shellard back during summer training, but a return to full fitness and an opportunity to make a contribution with Pontypridd is within his sights.
“I hope to make my mark pre-season and be able to help the club off to a good start in the league.
“There are high standards to maintain here at Ponty, and the whole squad is focussed on retaining the league title, regaining the Welsh Cup and improving on our status in the British & Irish Cup.
“There is so much to play for and if I can make a contribution to the club’s success it will more than justify my decision to come back here.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment