Monday 9 January 2012

Neath RFC chairman Hawkes to step down

OUTGOING Neath chairman Geraint Hawkes has blamed his club’s “unfortunate relationship” with the Ospreys as a key factor in his decision to step down.
Hawkes, whose plywood import firm went into administration last autumn, also said business reasons played a big part.
The 45-year-old’s company, trading under the name RKL Plywood, was put in the hands of administrators Grant Thornton.
Neath won five league titles and three Welsh Cups during Hawkes’ reign but success on the field has been countered by fractious relations with the Welsh region.
He said: “I have always considered it a privilege to be involved with this great club and it is with heartfelt regret that I have now decided to step down as chairman in the near future.
“The year ahead will be a very challenging one for myself and my family business-wise — this has naturally affected my decision and so has the club's unfortunate relationship with the Ospreys which is something which I cannot myself repair.
“My dealings with the board of our respected region have been far from harmonious with certain broken bridges having no prospect whatsoever of being rebuilt.”
But millionaire Hawkes hopes his departure will lead to better relations between Neath and the Ospreys in the future.
 “As part of next season's new 12-club Premiership, there is an onus on both Neath and its region to work closely and I hope that, by moving aside, this will open the door to more progressive times,” he added.
“It is totally unacceptable to see would-be third generation Neath players being forbidden to wear the famous Welsh All Black shirt as a result of circumstances which they can't personally control.
“This in itself has brought a new level of reality and one that saddens me.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment