Friday 27 July 2012

Celtic Manor pro guides stars of the future


The senior teaching professional at Ryder Cup venue Celtic Manor is to take up the role of helping to guide the future golfing talent in South East Wales.
John McDonald will take over the role as the South East Academy golf coach for the Golf Union of Wales, combined with his work at Celtic Manor, nurturing the talented junior golfers in the area as they progress through to the Wales squads and beyond.
“I am delighted to have the chance to play a role in helping so many of the best young golfers in the area,” said McDonald, from Efail Isaf, who worked at the Vale of Glamorgan resort before moving to Celtic Manor.
“I have had a taste of working with the elite players in my time at the Vale and Celtic Manor, as well as the knowledge and confidence I have gained through becoming a national technical representative for Titleist.
“This has exposed me to many elite performers and given me a great insight into their performance keys, I am looking forward to being able to pass that on.
“I have a lot of experience of the modern methods of golf coaching and analysis within the industry.
“I have a passion for learning and enjoy seeing others benefit from my skill as a golf professional, I would like to become a world class coach and to enable me to achieve this I have been shadowing elite coaches working with European Tour players and amateur international golfers.”
McDonald completed his PGA foundation degree in 2011, finishing fourth in training, as well as a first class sports science degree from the University of Glamorgan with his dissertation covering details of the golf swing in novices and professionals.
“We are very pleased that John will be joining the team of top class professionals who are guiding the young players in Wales,” said Golf Union of Wales Director of Performance Ben Waterhouse.
“He was an outstanding candidate for the role who will certainly bring a high level of skill and experience to the position of working with the elite junior golfers coming through the ranks in South East Wales.
“Talent identification will also be a key part of the role as we work towards developing the best young players in Wales to prepare them for the top levels of amateur golf and hopefully the professional ranks beyond that.
“We have a strong team of coaches all around Wales feeding into the national structure under men's coach Neil Matthews and ladies coach Jeremy Bennett, so it is great to have John as part of that team.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment