Thursday 19 July 2012

Big Mac apologises for his "naivety" after failed test

BANNED boxer Enzo Maccarinelli has apologised for his “naivety” in using a product which later led to him failing a drugs test.

The former world champion was handed a six-month suspension yesterday after the UK Anti-Doping Agency confirmed traces of methylhexaneamine (MHA) were found in his system.

The Swansea fighter wholly denies using the banned substance – found in a product Maccarinelli bought from a combat sport magazine – to “cut corners” in his preparations.

In a statement released yesterday, Maccarinelli said he hoped others could learn from his mistakes to avoid going through the “humiliation” he will have to now.

The statement in full read: “Following my fight against Shane McPhilbin in March, I was extremely surprised and disturbed to have tested positive for a banned substance known as methylhexaneamine.

“I purchased a product called Dexaprine that contained this banned substance from a combat magazine.  The advert stated that it was an approved substance and I checked the ingredients which had no reference to any banned substance that I was aware of.  In fact, it also stated that it was suitable for athletes.

“I have since found out that this ‘fat burner’ contained a substance and consequently I failed a dope test, albeit with a very low reading.

“I wish to state that this substance was in no way used to gain any advantage in the ring or enhance my performance and whilst I appreciate that it may look that way, I would certainly never cheat or cut corners in my preparation.

“I have been tested over 20 times in my career and have never failed any random or post fight doping test, but on this occasion, due to my naivety, I have tested positive for a banned substance.

“I was contacted by UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) and helped them with their investigations, where I gave them both the product that I had taken, the container and also the advert from which I ordered these supplements.

“The explanation I gave which is reflected accurately in their formal decision is evidence that my intention was not to knowingly take a banned substance or to gain an unfair advantage in competition.

“I am very conscious of my reputation within the sport of boxing and even prior to the decision, that has been released today (Wednesday), I promised to fully accept any punishment that was given as a result of this positive test.

“Furthermore, I voluntarily vacated my British Cruiserweight Championship so to allow my opponent, Shane McPhilbin, the opportunity to re-challenge for it whilst I serve my six months suspension, as I could not bear the thought of holding such a prestigious championship if anyone thought that I hadn’t won it fairly.

“I have volunteered to assist UKAD in any way I can to prevent other boxers or sportsmen from being  put in the same situation as I currently find myself in due to the availability of what appear to be perfectly legitimate supplements and manufacturers not making it clear on their products that they contain banned substances.

“UKAD have accepted my offer and I am determined to ensure, along with the British Boxing Board of Control that the awareness of such supplements is enhanced and others do not have to face the humiliation that I now have to.

“I would like to thank UKAD for their understanding and support in this matter and their punishment which I hope reflects the honesty in which I approached this situation.

“I would further like to thank Robert Smith of the BBBofC for his support and apologise to everyone involved in boxing for any stain on our great sport.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment