Thursday 16 February 2012

David Williams’s Welsh Boxing Blog – No. 3

MERTHYR Tydfil middleweight Kerry Hope has landed a surprise title shot at unbeaten European champion Grzegorz Proksa in Sheffield on March 17.

Hope faces the Pole on the same bill as the all-British showdown between Matthew Hatton and Kell Brook at the city’s Motorpoint Arena.

In his last outing, Hope won a British title eliminator against Tony Hill and was due to fight Gary Cooper for the vacant Welsh middleweight crown in Cardiff on March 2, but that has had to be shelved.

The Merthyr man has been given the chance to topple the 27-year-old champion despite being ranked just inside the top 20 by the European Boxing Union.

And he will be a big underdog for the encounter with the Surrey-based champion, who has stopped 19 of his 26 opponents inside the distance, including the last 11 in a row.

Hope has won his last four on points and overall has three defeats from 19 since making his debut seven years ago. And he wants to prove the doubters wrong this time.

“It did come as a bit of a surprise when I heard I’d got this fight,” he said. “I know a lot of people will criticise me for being given it but the likes of Darren Barker, Matthew Macklin and Martin Murray didn’t want it.

“They probably think they can get bigger fights and go for world titles but I’m the one going into the lion’s den next month.

“I’m not going to read anything about me in the build-up to the fight because I know people won’t give me a chance but it’s an opportunity I’ve got to grab with both hands.

“Proksa’s a come-forward fighter and a bit of a bully. He just wants to blow people away and that’s what he’ll want to do to me so I’ve got to be ready.”

The clash will undoubtedly be the biggest of Hope’s career and even though others may feel Proksa should be defending his title against a higher-ranked opponent, it’s just reward for some lean times as far as the 30-year-old Welshman is concerned.

Hope split from trainer Enzo Calzaghe after losing out on the vacant Welsh light-middleweight belt to Taz Jones in February 2009 and has only fought six times in the three years since.

While at the Newbridge gym Hope suffered a number of setbacks, including the cancellation of a dream appearance at Madison Square Gardens on the undercard of Joe Calzaghe’s showdown with Roy Jones Jr.

But after a stint in the USA, Hope teamed up with new trainer Karl Ince in Bolton and the partnership now seems to be bearing fruit.

“Something like this fight against Proksa shows that good things can happen to good people and I’m hoping I can repay the faith my supporters have shown me over the years,” added Hope.

Tickets priced at £30 are still available for the Sheffield show on March 17, contact Kerry on 07872 480007 for details.

In other boxing news, Enzo Maccarinelli, who made his comeback at light-heavyweight in November, challenges Shane McPhilbin for the British cruiserweight title in Wolverhampton on March 23.

McPhilbin only won the crown last month in what was just his 10th fight as a pro, clinching the strap with a last-round stoppage of Leon Williams, while Maccarinelli beat Hungarian Gyorgi Marosi in the autumn after more than a year out of the sport.

Meanwhile, Maesteg’s former European lightweight king Jason Cook is set to meet John Watson in an eight-rounder at Liverpool’s Echo Arena on May 14.

Since losing to British light-welterweight champion Ashley Theophane last summer, veteran Cook has beaten Hungarian Laszlo Szekeres and believes he has the advantage in power over Scouser Watson.

“John is a class operator who I think was weight-drained in his two British title losses,” he said. “I thought he looked great in his first fight in Prizefighter and showed some real power in there.

“As for his semi-final loss, Adil Anwar can make anyone look bad, especially over three rounds so I don’t look into that too much really.

“I think I’m the bigger puncher, my record speaks for itself. People think I’m just a puncher but I showed I can box when I fought (Lenny) Daws and Theophane.

“Having said that, I really believe one of us will get stopped in this fight, and I really don't think it will be me. Stoppage or not, I’m confident. He can box and fight, but I think he’s going to feel the pressure at home on a massive show.

“I want that last British title shot. I want it this year, and if the only way for me to get a crack is to beat good names and good fighters like John then line them up and I’ll take them out. Mark my words; I’m going to be British champion this year.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment