Wednesday 20 August 2014

Scarlets name Owens as new skipper

Ken Owens says it will be an ‘honour’ to lead the Scarlets after being named captain of the Pro12 side for next season.

The 27-year-old hooker, who has made 158 appearances for the West Wales region, will lead the side while centre Scott Williams has been named vice-captain.  

Owens takes over the reins from back row forward Rob McCusker and British & Irish Lion Jonathan Davies – who has joined French giants Clermont Auvergne.

"It's a huge honour, especially considering the people who've captained the region,” said Owens.
“I've played under some great leaders like Simon Easterby, Stephen Jones, Matthew Rees, Mark Jones – and obviously Rob McCusker and Jon Davies over the last couple of seasons.

"It's a massive opportunity for me and one I'm looking forward to. It's going to be a tough challenge but hopefully can move the region forward and get some success.”

On his leadership style, Owens added: “Every captain is different, I think I'll have to see how it unfolds.
“I will try and lead from the front which is something I've always tried to do as a player.”

Meanwhile fellow Wales international Williams, 23, who is the new vice-captain, also spoke of his delight, although admits the call took him by surprise.

He said: “It's a massive honour to be named vice captain – even though a little bit unexpected – but I'll grab the opportunity with both hands.

"We have a young squad, especially in the backline. It doesn't feel like that long ago that I was in the same shoes as those boys coming through from the Academy.

“I've got a lot of time in terms of helping them if they need anything. I don't feel 23 in terms of experience and I feel like I've had quite a lot in my short career so far.

“Hopefully I can bring that experience and pass it down to the other boys.”

Scarlets head coach Wayne Pivac is confident that pair will be popular choices as captain and vice-captain respectively.

He said: “Both Ken and Scott will play a vitally important role within the squad and both, I feel, epitomise Scarlets rugby and our region – our people.

“We are a part of a passionate and loyal rugby community where rugby is everything. I am a great believer in locals taking the team forward.

“Both of these young men come from within the heart of this region and will die for the jersey and lead by example.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment