Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Neath Port Talbot 7-7 Coleg Llandrillo

Neath Port Talbot College and Coleg Llandrillo shared the spoils after their hard-fought 7-7 draw at Llandarcy in the WRU Wednesday Under 18 League.

Both sides were guilty of missed opportunities to snatch a result with defences holding firm in very poor conditions.

With Wales head coach Warren Gatland in attendance, Neath Port Talbot opened the scoring in the seventh minute when hooker Luke Davies was on hand at the back of a line out to rip the ball out and surge through passed a couple of would be defenders to score an impressive solo effort.

Fly-half Dylan Francis was successful with the conversion to give his side a 7-0 lead.

Coleg Llandrillo were never given the chance to attack their opponents during the remainder of the first half while Neath Port Talbot did not look like mustering any clear cut chances for themselves.

With the rain getting heavier, the ball was dropped on numerous occasions leading to a stop-start affair going in at half time.

A few minutes after the restart Neath Port Talbot thought they had extended their lead when prop Mike Williams was put in under the posts from close range only for the referee to disallow the try as Williams had dropped the ball over the line when tackled.

Coleg Llandrillo full back Morgan Williams, who has been in scintillating form for his side so far this season, had the chance to cut the lead soon after but his penalty attempt was well off target.

Llandrillo did get their first try of the game after a period of sustained pressure and a number of phases put in by drives from their pack.

Outside-half Tom Williams cut through two Neath Port Talbot defenders close to the line before dabbing the ball down under the sticks.

Morgan Williams second effort from the tee was a lot better and the conversion drew the sides level at 7-7.

With Llandrillo remaining on the offensive, it took a cracking defensive shift from Neath Port Talbot to prevent them from what would likely have been the match-winning second try.

After a Llandrillo replacement was issued with a yellow card in the final few minutes for killing the ball at the ruck, Francis had the opportunity to grab what had looked like an unlikely win for his team.

But with a strong wind, his penalty attempt went just wide of the posts.

Hooker Luke Davies was terrific for his side with some gut-busting runs while showing pace whilst making one cover tackle in particular that any international winger would have been proud of.

For the away side, fly-half Tom Williams looked lively with the ball in hand and open-side Max Peters was aggressive in the tackle.

Llandrillo host unbeaten Coleg-Y-Cymoedd in their next cup competition match with Neath Port Talbot away at Coleg Sir Gar.


Post a Comment