Sunday, 21 July 2013

Newport and Airbus claim pre -season wins

Newport County extended their unbeaten run of pre-season friendlies as they powered to a convincing 3-0 win at Conference South outfit Havant and Waterlooville.

Justin Edinburgh’s men were well on top from the start, but it was the Hawks that managed to work the first clear cut chance with Serge Makofo squandering a golden chance, missing an open goal when it was seemingly easier to score.
Newport’s pressure eventually told just after the half hour mark, with Lee Minshull heading home from ten yards out, after a delicious David Pipe cross to take the lead.
County doubled their advantage after the break thanks to a giant slice of luck, as Andy Sandell’s cross come shot was carried over the line by Havant keeper Scott Bevan.
In contrast, Newport’s third ten minutes from the end was the pick of the bunch and owed nothing to luck, as Pipe picked up the ball from 30 yards out before unleashing a blistering strike into the top corner.
The football league new boys' preparation for the forthcoming season will step up a notch on Tuesday night when they face Championship side Reading at Spytty Park.
In an all North Wales affair, Welsh Premier side Airbus did just enough to see off Wrexham 1-0 thanks to a second half strike from Steve Jones.
In a tight opening half, it was the Wingmakers side that had the first sight of goal with Wrexham stopper Andy Coughlin showing good reactions to deny Jones’ header at point blank range.
The Reds found their way in to the match with striker Brett Ormerod twice coming close to opening the scoring for the visitors, while young gun Bradley Reid’s shot after a dazzling run went agonizingly wide.
Andy Preece’s men started the better after the break, and were rewarded with the lead when winger Lewis Short neatly pulled the ball back into Jones’ path, and the veteran’s low shot found the bottom corner.
With Wrexham trailing, the cavalry were called in with the introduction of a brand new strikeforce in Andy Bishop, Andy Morrell and Adrian Cieslewicz.
And their introduction added some much needed impetus for the visitors, with Cieslewicz's  blistering pace causing Airbus problems at the back, while Morrell and Nick Rushton both had chances to level.
Airbus continued to be resolute in defence and the writing was on the wall for Wrexham when, late on, a delicious cross found Morrell in acres of space, but his free header drifted wide of the upright as the Welsh Premier hosts hung on for victory.
 Meanwhile, Rhyl’s poor pre-season form continued yesterday as they were beaten 3-1 by Evo-Stik League Northern Premier Division outfit Marine.
 It was Rhyl's third defeat in eight days and considering they ran away with the Huws Gray Alliance title last season, it surprised followers that they provided somewhat tame opposition.
 The Belle Vue side will have to up their game before they return to the Welsh Premier League next month.
 The mercurial Andy Fowler opened Marine's account in the 19th minute and then Jon Goulding made it 2-0 in the 41st minute.
 Rhyl struck back on the stroke of half-time when Ryan Astle's header found the net when he connected with a Paul McManus corner.
 It remained 2-1 to Marine until the deadly Dean Astbury got the visitors' third two minutes from time.
 Both sides were relieved to hear the final whistle as the humid conditions made it difficult to play open football. 
 Also going down to a comprehensive defeat was Huws Gray Alliance side Conwy Borough as they slipped to a 3-0 loss against Conference North side AFC Telford.
After a 15-minute delay to the start caused by traffic congestion as holidaymakers headed to the seaside, the visitors made a bright start and were soon in the ascendancy.
But it was not until three minutes after the interval that Matty McGinn gave them a well-deserved advantage.
 And before the break it became 2-0 as Alan Moogan netted with a stunning strike that gave Conwy keeper Huw Mackin no chance at all.
 Just before the final whistle, Conwy's disappointing afternoon was compounded as Adam Farrell pounced for a third goal in the dying moments to confirm the Midlanders superiority.
 Elsewhere, Bangor City drew 1-1 with Lancaster City, Aberystwyth Town clinched a 4-3 win at home to Barmouth & Dyffryn United and Flint Town claimed a 3-2 triumph over gap Connahs Quay.


Post a Comment