Thursday 31 January 2013

One Evans in and one out for Newport

Wales under-18s captain Lee Evans has signed for Wolves for an undisclosed fee from Newport County, while the club have announced the loan signing of Will Evans until the end of the season.

Speaking of his move, 18-year-old Lee said: "The facilities are superb here and it is a great opportunity for me. I do want to thank everyone at Newport for everything they have done, especially the manager Justin Edinburgh for giving me my chance.

"For him to have all that faith in me and pick a 17-year-old to play at Wembley (in the 2-0 FA Trophy Final loss to York City last May) was unbelievable. And Glyn Jones and the Academy have all been great to me as well and helped me develop my game.

"I’m looking forward to a new challenge now and getting going here at Wolves. I'll go into the under-21s set-up and from there it’s up to me to try and impress and, like all the young players, see if I can get in and around the first team squad."

Evans has made a real impact for Justin Edinburgh’s side since making his debut in March 2012. This season has seen him make 22 appearances (18 starts), bagging three goals as The Exiles battle for promotion in to the Football League.

As well as captaining the Welsh under-18s side, Evans also made his debut for the under-23s last summer, and is currently on standby for the Wales under-21s’ friendly with Iceland on February 6 ahead of the senior team’s friendly with Austria in Swansea the same day.

A Newport statement indicated that there had been interest from “a host of Championship and Premiership outfits”, but Wolves appear to have made their move to beat off the competition.

Replacement Will Evans is also a central midfielder, who previously played for Swindon Town.

He has signed to fill the gap left by Lee's departure, with Exiles manager Justin Edinburgh saying: "We have kept a close eye on the situation regarding Lee and did not want to be caught short going into the second half of the season.

"Will can play centre back or centre midfield, and he will strengthen the squad. Will is a player that we have watched and he is the right sort of player to come to the club."

0 comments:

Post a Comment