Thursday 7 November 2013

Chloe set for senior role

Wrexham teenager Chloe Williams is ready to step up to a senior role in Welsh ladies amateur golf, with a busy winter preparing to challenge for a Curtis Cup place next year.

Chloe Williams celebrates her perfect six out of six record as Wales win the Ladies Home Internationals.
Having won the Golf Union of Wales Girls Order of Merit in her last year, as well as a commanding six out of six victories as Wales won the Ladies Home Internationals, Williams is heading to Florida this winter to build on her summer performances.

Along with Welsh Amateur champion Becky Harries, Williams is now one of the senior players in the Wales international teams following the decision of Curtis Cup and Junior Ryder Cup star Amy Boulden to turn professional.

I was delighted to win the Girls Order of Merit as it was the last year I qualify, it was one of the things I had set out to win even though I missed some of the events because of Ladies commitments,” admitted Williams - who is coached by her father Paul, the North Wales regional coach for the Golf Union of Wales.

My Dad and I mapped out a four year plan when I was 16, which we are now half way through with the aim of turning professional in two years time, and winning the Girls title was part of that plan.

With Amy turning professional then Becky and I know we have to take on more of a senior role to help the players coming up through the junior squads into the national set up, which is a big jump for them.

We had a recent Wales squad week in Portugal and Ben Waterhouse (the Golf Union of Wales director of performance) sat the two of us down to explain the importance of the contribution we could make.

I have been in their shoes, I was 12 when I first went to warm weather training, so I know what those players will be going through as they come up through the ranks.”

Williams has had a strong year, starting as a medallist in the Australian Youth Olympics winning team gold and individual bronze.

Winning the Ladies Home Internationals this year was one of the highlights, especially as I won six matches out of six, and that is something the Curtis Cup selectors will have definitely noticed,” she said.

I would love to play in the Curtis Cup next year, expecially as it will be out in America and we will be defending the Cup.

I was involved in the trials last year and it was cool to be included in them, but I knew I would not get in the team that time round.

It was nice to see what you have to do and that is good experience for this time round when I feel I can be in the team.

I am going to Florida in January to start my season early, which helps a lot, while over the next two years as an amateur I have a lot of target events I would like to win such as the Welsh Amateur and the British Ladies title.”

Waterhouse added, “It was a good year for Chloe, particularly at the Youth Olympics and in the Home Internationals, capped by winning the Girls Order of Merit.

She has plenty to build on with clear targets for next year. Going to Florida in January and competing there will be a crucial first step.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment