Sunday, 19 April 2015

Glynneath capture Worthington Neath and District (H G Lewis) Cup

Report by Howard Evans
An outstanding game of rugby saw Glynneath pull clear in the final quarter to capture the Worthington Neath and District (H G Lewis) Cup for the fourth year in succession.

Glynneath celebrate Cup success 

It not only produced thrilling running and tackling by both Glynneath and their game opponents Briton Ferry, but saw two Glynneath players stand out as future stars.

Scrum half Shaun Tennant  scored 28 points and 20-years-old centre Lewis Cox ran in two outstanding tries, while Ferry’s Jonathan Davies, playing on his home pitch, scored all his side’s 16 points.

Cox, a flanker, but playing in the centre, looks to have the makings of a splendid player and was given the Man of the Match award. 

He said: “I have only just returned to rugby after having being in the Ospreys under-16s but then giving the game up. I really am a forward but I enjoyed myself in the backs today.”

Man of the Match Lewis Cox in action

The game was full of strong running, rucking and tackling with referee Harvey Smith (Neath) splendid in the way he held control, while Briton Ferry never gave in, despite suffering several injuries, though the power of the Glynneath pack finally told.

Tennant showed his fine kicking prowess as early as the second  minute with a huge penalty, but  Davies levelled before a mighty Glynneath drive saw fly half Matthew Llewellyn score and Tennant convert.

Back came Ferry as Davies intercepted and ran in for a try that he goaled and then added a penalty as the home side led 13-10.

Before the interval, Tennant kicked a penalty and converted an outstanding solo try by Cox for a 20-13 lead.

Despite Glynneath winning the second half by 33-3, it was not totally one-sided with lock Bobby Jones and No 8 Matthew C.Davies in fine form for the winners and No 8 Chris Burgess and prop Adam Robinson standing out for Ferry.

Tries followed by Davies, Tennant , lively centre Dylan Parks, Tennant again and Cox, with the latter having another disallowed. Tennant  converted four  with Jonathan Davies placing a penalty for Briton Ferry.

Tina Tew, escorted by Wales District officials,  presented the cup to the hard-working Glynneath captain, flanker Matthew Davies (not the try-scorer), who had just failed to get on the scoreboard himself.

This is the first of several competitions sponsored by Worthington in South Wales and the West of England.

Glynneath – Tries: S Tennant 2, L Cox 2, M C Davies, D Parks, M Llewellyn. Cons: S Tennant 6. Pens: S Tennant 2. 
Briton Ferry – Try: J Davies. Con: J Davies. Pens: J Davies 3.


Post a Comment