Tuesday 1 July 2014

JANE HEADS FOR HOLLYWOOD

Newly crowned European champion Jane Rees is hoping to head for Hollywood thanks to her win against Europe's top senior amateurs.

Hollywood in New Jersey, rather than California, is the venue for this year's US Seniors Amateur Championship and Rees is planning to take part as the European winner.
First there is a Ryder Cup style match against the US to be held in Valderrama, Spain, next week as part of the European team for the Seniors Women Invitational Match.
Since winning the European title in Madrid, triumphing by seven shots after going into the final round trailing by four strokes, Hendon-based Rees has finished second in Holland as well as preparing for the SWIM international.
I was surprised but very pleased to win as I was not the lowest handicapper playing, but I believe the European title gets me into the US Seniors Amateur Championship in September,” said the Wales international, aged 55.
It is at Hollywood golf club, but in Deal, New Jersey rather than California. Those allowed to enter include the European champion.
I went into the final round of the European championships four shots behind a lady who was a member at that club, Maria de Orueta. However I started the final round with two pars and two birdies while she had four bogeys.
She chipped in at the 14th to potentially reduce my lead to one shot, but I sank a long putt on the same hole. In the end I had a five shot lead going up the last and felt I could get that done.
My husband David caddied for me, he had the plan of the undulating greens and kept telling me where to hit the ball.”
Rees is also a Wales international athlete, running in the 400m hurdles, and only took up golf when her athletics career came to an end.
I took up golf when I was 30, played socially for a while and then entered the Welsh Seniors when I turned 50.
I won that and got into the Wales team and have been able to play in plenty of big events since then, including winning the Spanish seniors title in 2010. The ladies senior scene is really thriving.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment