Tuesday, 25 March 2014

Fardre march on in Plate

Two East’s Llantwtit Fardre once again upset the form guide as they bagged a place in the semi-finals of the Swalec Plate, dispatching first division outfit Llangennech 31-21.

Heading into the encounter against One West’s Llangennech, Fardre had previously seen off holders Heol y Cyw and One East outfit Glamorgan Wanderers.

After taking a while to get into the match Fardre soon acclimatised, with fly-half Jason Pocock once again the catalyst for the win as the player/coach amassed 16 points from the tee, while Adam Harcourt, Elliot Davies and Scott Burrows all crossed for the visitors.

Rhiwbina's Dan Murphy in action against Nant Conwy
Meanwhile fellow Two East outfit Rhiwbina are also just one win away from a day out at the Millennium Stadium as they Squirrels saw off 2012 runners up Nant Conwy at Caedelyn, running out 36-19 winners, scoring six tries in the process.

The North Walians made life difficult for the Squirrels at times and continued to attack until the final whistle, but the formidable Rhiwbina pack, with Dan Murphy putting in an outstanding performance, were just too strong for the visitors.

The hosts opened the scoring with a Louis Millar try but Nant soon cancelled that score out with a touchdown by Emrys Evans.

The Squirrels remained on top before the break with Gareth Clwyd-Jones and Chris Fido both crossing the whitewash.

After the break, the outstanding Gareth McCarthy continued to terrorise the Nant defence, setting up hooker Jamie DeAbreu's touchdown.

Fido then bagged for his second of the afternoon following great work by the pack with Murphy again leading the way.

The visitors did try and mount a comeback when Euros Jones went beneath the posts, but Rhiwbina made sure of victory when they shunted back the Nant pack from a 5 metre scrum and the referee was forced to award the Squirrels a penalty try, converted by McCarthy.

With the home faithful already toasting their team’s success, it was Nant that had the final say with Carwyn Roberts grabbing a late consolation.

However, there was no such upset at Glynneath where the One West leaders overcame Maesteg Quins 19-13 in a titanic battle.

In the day’s other quarter-final clash, Two West’s Amman United were unable to field a side in their match-up against Merthyr, handing the Ironmen a walkover.

In the Swalec Bowl, Four South East’s Clwb Rygbi Cymry Caerdydd’s dreams of completing a League and Cup double are still on, after the Cardiff outfit progressed to the last four of the competition thanks to a 35-18 home win over Nantymoel.

Gareth Williams’ troops produced a strong second half display to shake off their league rivals ‘Moel, crossing four times in all through Sam Rogers, Richard Read, Deian Thomas and Amlyn Griffiths.

Meanwhile, fellow Four South East outfit Llantwit Major also clinched a place in the final four with a 30-21 home success over Pyle.

The boot of Ryan Evans once again proved pivotal as the fly-half claimed 20 of his side’s points from the tee, while wings Marcus Pearce and Rhys Belmont crossed the whitewash.

There is to be no fairytale for Six South East’s Hartridge after the lowest league side that was left in the competition went down 30-15 to Four East’s Old Illtydians.

Finally, Llandudno made certain of a North Wales representative in the last four of the Swalec Bowl by beating Division Five South West visitors Ystradgynlais 24-10.


Post a Comment