Sunday, 4 August 2013

Welsh Football Friendlies Round Up

Colwyn Bay left it late to shoot down Welsh Premier Champions TNS 2-1 in an enthralling pre-season friendly at Llanelian Road.

The Saints stunned the home faithful early on with full back Simon Spender finishing off a weaving run to score with a good shot after just two minutes.
The lively visitors dominated and ‘keeper Josh Ollerenshaw had to be at his best to keep the Seagulls in contention with a fine reflex save to deny Greg Draper.
Seagulls Manager Frank Sinclair called on the cavalry at half time, making seven changes, which proved to be a game-changer as Steve Connor and Jamie Ellison were denied in quick succession.
With just ten minutes remaining, Louis Moss set up John McKenna who equalised from the edge of the area and just two minutes from the end, Cameron Darkwah won possession in the TNS half to send Ellison clear and lob the advancing ‘keeper to net the winner.
Meanwhile, newly formed Penybont played out a highly entertaining 3-3 draw with Merthyr Town at Bryntirion Park.
The Division One Welsh league side Penybont, who formed this summer with the merger of Bridgend Town and Bryntirion Athletic, looked more assured on the ball in the early stages, and the hosts took a deserved 2-0 lead into the interval after a brace from ace marksman Robbie Walters.
The Martyrs' Ryan Prosser halved the deficit five minutes after the interval, stepping up to convert from 12 yards after he was felled in the area, as Garry Shephard’s men grew in confidence.
However, against the run of play, Bont restored their two goal cushion with Walters once again at the centre of the attack as the striker ran at the Martyrs' defence before sliding a neat ball through to Jack Delve, who coolly converted.
However, the Evo Stik Southern Division One side would not go away and continued to bombard the hosts, and with five minutes remaining, Alex Long headed in at the back post to reduce the deficit.
The once assured Penybont defence now looked in disarray and with pressure mounting, referee Colin Jones once again pointed to the spot for an infringement in the hosts' box, and replacement Ryan Newman stepped up to clinch a well-earned draw. 
There was also late drama at Park Avenue where Aberystwyth were held to a 1-1 draw by Haverfordwest.
Both sides fielded a hatful of trialists seeking to impress and it led to a midfield stalemate with chances at a premium.
And fans had to wait until eight minutes from time for the first goal when Aber’s Sion James found the net with a close range shot following a corner from Antonio Corbisiero.
Corbisiero set up another chance which Rhydian Davies failed to convert, and the visitors snatched a late equaliser through Dale Griffiths to earn the Welsh League side a share of the spoils.
Meanwhile, Newtown surrendered a two-goal lead as they lost 3-2 at another Alliance club, Guilsfield, Welsh Premier new boys Rhyl knocked four past Conwy Borough, while Port Talbot Town made the long trip to Bedfordshire and returned from Biggleswade with a 3-3 draw.
Elsewhere, Jordan Follows scored a late consolation goal for Carmarthen Town in a 3-1 defeat at Bath City, David Pratt bagging a brace, while Karl Murray was on target as Prestatyn Town drew 1-1 at Vauxhall Motors.
Finally, Bangor City completed a miserable week as they crashed 4-0 at Nantporth to Burscough, managed by ex-City defender Derek Goulding.


Post a Comment