Friday 2 August 2013

Bush clinches Welsh Amateur Crown

Morlais Castle’s Jack Bush produced some exquisite golf to clinch the Welsh Amateur Championship at Ashburnham, thrashing Southerndown’s Mike Hearne 9&8.

In the 36 hole final Bush, who plays off a handicap of plus two, was always in control of proceedings and a three under opening round saw him take a four hole lead over 22 year old Hearne into the day’s second round.

The Merthyr man continued to have the Midas touch in the afternoon session, taming the wild Asburnham course on a hot but blustery day. Bush won holes 2, 5, 7, 9 and 10, as he claimed victory on the 28th hole of the contest to record the biggest winning margin since 1980.

“I came here as an outsider, a complete underdog but I started the week well and to win the Welsh Amateur is a complete dream come true”, said Bush.

“I was down in both the quarter-final and semifinal but dug in and fought back to win, and thankfully I got a good start and played one of the games of my life today. I have holed a lot of good putts this tournament and there’s no doubt that that’s what has won me the title.”

Bush, who works for his Grandfather’s paint selling business in Merthyr, was overwhelmed by the support he has had from family and friends this week.

“I had so much support out there today, the ‘Merthyr Mafia’ have come down to see me play and to produce the goods and win the title in front of my friends and family is truly amazing”, beamed Bush.

Bush and Hearne will now team up as part of the Welsh Men’s Team at the Home Internationals at Ganton later this month.

“I’m really excited about winning my first senior cap. I’ve played for Wales at junior level but this will be a step up, though hopefully I can keep my form from this week going”, added Bush.

0 comments:

Post a Comment