Sunday 4 November 2012

Bond has licence to thrill in Q School exam

THIS Wednesday marks the start of the second stage of European Tour qualifying and another big few days in the career of St Pierre pro Liam Bond.

However, with six tournament victories already this year, including one at Frilford Heath in the first phase last month, 42-year-old Bond is in confident mood ahead of his trip to Lumine Golf & Beach Club near Barcelona.

Bond is determined to win back his card having lost it last December after just one year on the European Tour. And he insists he still has the hunger to play at the top level, feeling that he didn’t fully do himself justice during his sole season among the sport’s elite.

He also admits that the disappointment of 12 months ago proved something of a blessing in disguise and, after more time spent at home with his young family and concentrating on his new business, he feels rejuvenated and raring to go.

“I’ve been to qualifying many times before and I know what’s required to get from one stage to the next,” he said. “It doesn’t get any easier and the standard gets better every year but I’m happy with the way I’m playing and the hunger is still there.

“I’ve won six times this year so I’m quite happy with my game and ready to go back on tour. Having a year off hasn’t been the worst thing as I’ve carried on playing locally and set-up my own company giving golf tuition abroad.

“I’ve been playing with a bit more freedom and feel more relaxed this year. Perhaps I was trying too hard last year because of the expectations of being on the tour for the first time.

“Something has changed in my whole routine and I’ve found myself playing better. In a way I’m taking things less seriously and not trying to think about things too much. I have a few practice shots to warm-up and then get on with it.”

Lumine is one of four Spanish courses to hold qualifying events from November 7-10 with 72 holes separating Bond and the rest from a place at the PGA Catalunya Resort in the last week of the month when tour cards will be there for the taking.

0 comments:

Post a Comment