Sunday 5 August 2012

Shufflebotham produces amazing escape to lift crown

JASON Shufflebotham was lost for words after overturning a six-hole deficit to win back-to-back Welsh Amateur Championships at Royal St David’s yesterday.

The Prestatyn golfer, 24, produced a remarkable fight back over the second round of the 36-hole final against Oswestry’s Will Jones.

Only two men since the 1960s had retained the title before Shufflebotham achieved the feat thanks to his amazing powers of recovery.

John Roger Jones, the current deputy chairman of the R&A’s championship committee, and Llewellyn Matthews were the only players to win successive championships in the last 50 years or so.

“I am lost for words after that match,” said a stunned Shufflebotham. “To defend my title is amazing. I feel like I have gone 15 rounds with Mike Tyson.

“I was in complete shock after (the) morning’s session going six down at one stage, but I dug in and won the 17th and that gave me a much-needed boost going into lunch.”

The Welsh international had beaten Geraint Jones, Richard Hooper, Mark Parry, Lee Jones and Elliott Anderson to reach the final while Jones defeated Richard James in the semis.

0 comments:

Post a Comment