Friday, 27 September 2013

Swansea U15s 22-19 South Powys U15s

Swansea  Under 15s edged past South Powys to claim a narrow success in their opening Group A match of the Dewar Shield, running out 22-19 winners at Morriston.

Swansea's Corey Evans booted his side to victory

A try double from Jake Tucker helped see the Swansea side home to victory in this frantic and frenzied encounter, that was full of running rugby and high in drama.
The hosts broke the deadlock early on when quick hands from the back line saw wing Tucker cross in the corner, with full back Corey Evans adding the extras with an excellent conversion.
South Powys' Gareth Price notched up 14 points 
Conceding seemed to breathe life into the South Powys side and after an extended period of pressure, fly-half Gareth Price danced his way past three defenders to score under the posts, with Price duly adding the extras.
The game was now a high octane affair with both teams looking to run the ball at every opportunity and it was Swansea that retook the lead, with Tucker going over for his second of the afternoon.
The hosts extended their lead shortly after when centre Callum Carson crashed over the line, which Evans converted for a 19-7 lead.
Just before the interval, however, South Powys closed the gap with prop Rob Powell powering his way over the line, Price once again adding the extras.
No way through: Both sides were well-organised in defence
With everything still all to play for, the second half was as intense as the opening 40 and Swansea were the first side to blink - a poor clearance from off the hosts’ line was gathered by Powys outside half Price and he once again showed some silky skill to go over.
The match hung evenly in the balance at 19-19 but a late penalty from Swansea’s Evans sealed the win, after Powys were pinged for an infringement at a ruck in their own 22.
Swansea next travel to Ceredigion while South Powys face Llanelli on October 5, with the West Walians dispatching Newport 11-5 in their opening fixture. 


Post a Comment